Friday, November 19, 2010

Say Joy



The United Black Students Conference at Ryerson was probably one of the most inspiring weekends I've experienced all year. I've been trying to sketch out this blog in a way that will give justice to the vibe of the conference, and it's been taking hours. I realized that you had to be there to fully understand the magic that went down. The ideas, and discussions that were shared was cool.


[Originally a track from The Beatles]
Nina Simone - Here comes the sun by nu-ka

Someone at the conference said that the conference reminded him that he's actually sane. And I would have to agree, especially because sometimes when you think of possibilities of change, to end legacies of struggle, is deeply complicated, but somehow, when I find myself attached to the reality of that possibility, yet I also experience the reality of it all, I feel like I'm going crazy.



I dunno, it kinda sucks, because all the things that were going through my head at the time, but its been a month since the event and I can't recall the details of my excitement. :( ... I do however recall feeling accomplished. Blessed. Humbled by the whole thing. I don't know, it was odd to actually SEE the fruits of this long months of planning. It was odd to be so involved. Maybe odd isn't the right word...

John Regan Ft. Marsha Ambrosius - All I Got To Give (Prod. By YZ) by YouthfulKinfolk

Maybe Accomplished? ...Blessed? ...I remember feeling soooooooooo thankful to have been surrounded with sooo many beautiful people. Some like minded, some not too too like-minded... but somehow under the common understanding that we are a people. A people fighting for community. I remember feeling thankful that God had placed me there. I even got a call from my parents asking me how it went. I could feel my dad grinning from ear to ear because of how proud he was, and to be honest, I can't remember the last time he ever vocalized how proud he was of me. ...it's been a LONG WHILE. ...so yes. I was in awe.



I was also sooo soo sooo proud of my team. my friends for making it happen... :)
... the sleepless nights, the effects on our grades (well at least mine lol), the jokes, the serious discussions, the ridiculously (sometimes unecessary LONG meetings), more meetings... everything. I'm thankful for every moment I got to spend with each one of them.

Marsha Ambrosius - "Far Away" by TheWaitingRoom

UUGGHHHHHHHH !!!

"Say JOOOOYYYY.... let me hear you say JOY" - IK


Joy is what I felt... at least I think it was, what else could it be? I differentiate joy from happiness in that Joy lasts longer and affects the soul and happiness is fleeting. It was a weird sense of peace of mind, peace of calmness... and just straight up. PEACE. ...Blessed!!!



Say Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers