Sunday, August 8, 2010

Fashion





hmmm :)


[haven't done a fashion post in a while]






Fashion. I love it and I Dislike it sometimes. I love it, because to me, like art, it's a sign of the times. It's a method of expression. Sometimes its detailed and intricate, sometimes it's simple and plain. I embrace it either way.
Dislike: How you dress can make you, or break you. ...Scratch that, and go knee deep, I'd say, how you look can make you or break you.
When I say this, I'm looking beyond the clothing/consumerism. There is a certain aesthetic that society has set to be better than others. Generally speaking the lighter your skin, the straighter your hair, the thinner your built the better society sees you, the more opportunities you have everywhere you go whether it be through relationships (personal or otherwise), or through the navigation through the corporate ladder. In upfront truth: the whiter you are, the 'better'.

I found this mini-documentary that deals with the hardships of black models in the fashion industry. I find it pretty insightful. Feel free to check it out :)










...
I guess since we're on that tip... We should also address the issue of cosmetics. And my or our overconsumption of products. (Thought it was interesting)

The Story of Cosmetics








[old papi got swag!! lol.. I hope my husband has swag like that when we get older :) ]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers