Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Art of Sampling



Since I started going hard at this project, here are a few gems I've discovered

Herbie Hancock - Watermelon Man by levan pavlenishvili

This is one of my favourite tracks from Herbie Hancock. I have a thing for the scatts, and the runs, and almost teases from the sax and the trumpet. lol.. don't ask questions just accept it. I love it.

Herbie Hancock ''Fat Mama'' (Re-Edit) by JP Set

Though the title of this one, kinda doesn't make sense lol.. but I can only assume it's a musician-insider-jargon. ... these tracks are making me wish I took up piano lessons instead of figuring it out by ear. ...lol. *shrug*


Since I'm on the Herbie Hancock tip, I just found out that his song: Hang up your hang ups was FULLY and 100% sampled by Janet Jackson, in her track don't stop.
... I was in awe. The more I keep digging back doing this assignment, the more I'm realizing that this sampling thing runs deep. lol




John Coltrane's In a Sentimental Mood was sampled, by Asheru in Mood Swing, and Hocus Pocus, in one of their tracks, I can't remember the name.

Duke & Coltrane - In a Sentimental Mood by dafnesampaio

I think If ever I'm given the opportunity to learn what goes on behind the scenes of creating music, I will probably take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers