Friday, December 31, 2010

A strange arrangement: 2010 & Resolutions


Around this time last year, I sat down with a good friend with a bottle of baileys and the scarface DVD, and my sketchbook. I can't really remember why we chose Baileys but I think it's because it reminded me of Krémas, we chose scarface because we both never seen it lol, and my sketchbook to write my new years resolution. Prior to that day, I had never written down my goals for this year, and so I did. and here's what my list consited of:

- Taking Chances
- Manage my money more efficiently
- Social life (since 2009, was highly deficient in that department lol)
- Getting Involved in the community
- Physically do something (aka, less talk more action)
- Tutor a kid (once a week)/"Big Sister"/Mentoring
- License
- Be more vocal (aka voice my concerns/be more honest with myself and with people when things bother me) [sadly this one ended up costing me a friendship]
- Apply for jobs
- Apply for Internships
- Let Go and Let God [could've been better]
- Be more active in my faith
- Lauryn Hill (I wrote it down, in a "YouNeverKnow" feel about the whole thing, and guess who bought her ticket to see her on the 22nd?? YOURS TRULY SAAAAN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Star ft. Rachel Claudio - 20syl Rmx by Sly Johnson

It wasn't until I was going through this list again, that I realized that I had accomplished 90% of what I had sought out to do this year. It was sort of a cool realization, that I did all of this subconsciously. When I talked to my sister about it, she said that meant that I was an "effective person" and realizing this I think is sort of cool. I feel blessed to have the drive that I have to BE, and to Do what's in my heart.


Yesterday was one of the best days of 2010, simply because I felt like I was living in the moment in the simplest form. I didn't do much, had a meeting with a few great young people who will be contributing to a newspaper article at York. I decided that I was going to be part of it, for a challenge for myself, and as a creative outlet. Then I went for a walk around downtown after buying art supplies for my music project. I was walking around with a smile on my face. I swear if someone saw me they would've thought I was crazy, I kept trying to stop myself. I kept wondering if people born in this city really realize how beautiful this city is, and how blessed they are. For instance hours prior to my walk à la solo-dolo, I was on the bus, with the beautiful people I met at the meeting, and we were just discussing making change, and creating/starting initiatives and there was a white older man that was eavesdropping on our conversation, as we were getting off the bus, he made sure to tell us, that what we were talking about was the truth, and that it was extremely positive and that we should keep doing it. I was in awe. I think that if this conversation was happening in Calgary, it would've gone a completely DIFFERENT WAY!!

Supalover feat. 20syl and David of Hocus Pocus by Ovall

Yesterday, was also an awesome hair day! lol.. Considering the fact that my family was spraying some haterade on me and my hair over the holidays, by referring me to a female version of bob Marley, it was a nice change. I took off my braids not because of their comments, but because it was time lol. ( I had several braid patches that had begun a dance on their own in unison, and dreading out of furry, every time I washed it. I was super nervous/concerned!) I took a few pics of it all, I think my sister will feature me on her blog: CoiledCreole tumblr ... *raises the roof* yaay!



This year I'm going to create a vision board from scratch. I mean, charcoal, sketchbook, eraser, paint everything my heart will almost literally be splattered all over this board. :) ... I hope for it to remind me everyday of my search to actualize myself, to realize my goals, and to simply be the best me, and bring a smile to my creator. .... so 2011's goals will go as follows:


[Physical]
- Big Chop! :) (... so excited for this!!)
- Be more active/Step up my fitness/health habits (for the last few months, I've been developping really unhealthy eating habits, because I'm so consumed doing the work that I do and I'm not impressed with myself)
- Blog about what I'm doing physically? (exercises? skin and hair stuff? ...?)

[Spiritual]
- Let Go and Let God x5 (With my graduation and a big unknown question mark for what is to follow this goal, has become that much more critical!)

[Love]
- Love every inch of myself, morning faces, awkward gas from lactose, coiled kinks, random body hairs and ALL! & shine
- Find my 'thing', believe in my many gifts, and actualize what's in my heart
- Be more willing to be more vulnerable
- step up my dull 'dating/relationship' life lol ... (not sure how yet though)

... (sidebar: I have more goals, but these are the ones I'm sharing on this 'thing')

Happy New Year fellow readers :) ... Happy New Year to this blog!
Strange Fruit

1 comment:

  1. I'm creating a vision board too! yo (more like a vision poster..cuz it's cheaper lol)
    *high fives*

    ReplyDelete

Followers